Blue water Bridge , Sarnia, Canada to Michigan, USA
Project Owner/Client : Buckland & Taylor Ltd. North Vancouver, B.C./ Trow onsulting Engineers
Architects : UP Engineers & Architects, Inc
Opened : Oct 10, 1938 (west bound) – July 22, 1997 (east bound)
The first bridge is a cantilever truss with a total length of 6,178 feet. The main span is 871 feet. The second bridge is a continuous tied arch with a total length of 6,109 feet. The main span is 922 feet.
Together, the two bridges are one of the busiest transportation arteries between the United States and Canada, the second-busiest crossing after the Ambassador Bridge at Detroit-Windsor. They also provide one of the four shortest routes of land travel between the eastern seaboard of the United States, and the central United States. The Blue Water Bridges are jointly owned and maintained by Canada and the United States. The Blue Water Bridge Authority is in charge of the Canadian side, and the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is in charge of the U.S. side. The bridges charge a toll, which is used to pay for bridge maintenance and operations.